I’m mostly posting these pictures so I’ll remember that I DID actually accomplish a bit of artwork this past week. I’m trying really hard to do a bit of work every day, even if it’s only a teeny, tiny bit.
The following pictures are the result of my first experiment with deconstructed screen printing, as described in Rayna Gillman’s excellent book, Create Your Own Hand-Printed Cloth: Stamp, Screen and Stencil with Everyday Objects. Basically, various resists are placed under a screen and thickened dye paste is pulled across. The screen is then left to dry and then plain print paste is screened across to transfer the design to fabric. It’s not very complicated, but it takes some time for the screen to dry, for the printed fabric to cure, then to be washed out. I did this over 4 days this last week. I really think I’m going to need to make or buy some more screens, because just having one is limiting- I would have liked to play for quite a bit longer with the screening process and with just one screen, that’s not possible. All of these were screened on to fabric that had been previously dyed with a combination of pink and gold dyes. I used a blue violet dye for the screen.
And here are a couple of small shibori stitching experiments from this week. This one is the same pink/gold fabric from above, stitched and over-dyed with black:
This one is a piece of bargain tangerine linen-rayon blend fabric that I bought, hoping it would be good for over-dyeing. This was my sample piece, which I dyed with bright pink dye. It’s a little brighter than this photo shows. I loved how it turned out, so I spent a good chunk of yesterday afternoon sewing a summer dress out of the tangerine fabric. This week (or maybe for longer!), I’ll be working on doing the stitched resist work so that I’ll hopefully end up with a very fun and funky one-of-a-kind summer dress.
Hopefully, I’ll have more to post next week- maybe sooner, depending on how much work and everyday life gets in the way of making art :).