I finished my string bag- it was a very fast project.
I tried putting a bunch of bananas in it and it stretched out to be much longer than I expected. I was originally thinking of using this for things like apples at the farmers market, but I think I will knit another that is much shorter for that and use this one for bread and other less heavy things.
I based this pattern on the one found here:
I used the variations listed and started with casting on 8 stitches. I knit 18 rows ( 9 ridges), picked up 8 stitches on each side( 32 stitches) and then worked one row of (yo,k1) to increase to 64 stitches. I then followed the pattern instructions for Turkish stitch for 12 inches. At the top edge, I (k2tog) 8 times, k16, (k 2tog) 8 times, k16. I then worked 8 rounds in garter stitch. I then k8, bound off 16, k8 ( can put these on a holder, although I just left them on my needle), bound off 16. I then knit the strap in garter stitch until it was about 15″ and then finished off by attaching it to the live stitches on the opposite side with a 3 needle bind off.
I dyed around 150 yards of yarn and still have some left, so It takes a little less than that. I’m going to make another one very soon, and only knit the body length 5-6 inches. I think these will be very handy for the Farmer’s market!