Last week, I was downtown at a tiny little store that is always full of an interesting and eclectic assortment of merchandise. The store is barely bigger than a small hallway, but I still feel like I don’t see everything that they sell. Way back in the corner, they had some folded pieces of fabric that were labeled “twin” which I’m assuming were originally intended to be some sort of bed covering. They were a medium weight cotton in a variety of prints.
This one came home with me:
I knew that I wanted to make it into some sort of clothing. I originally thought it would be a wrap-around skirt using the circle design part of the fabric. I pulled out a bunch of patterns and after playing around with different possibilities, I decided to make a Barcelona Dress ( a Textile Studio pattern). I’ve made this pattern in a few different fabrics and I love that it always looks different. It’s long, down to my ankles at center front and a little shorter on the sides and is a very comfortable dress to wear.
Here is my finished dress:
Here is a close up the skirt part of the dress, where I used the circle part of the design. In this pattern, there is a seam at center front and center back rather than at the sides:
I’m planning to go this weekend to look a little closer at the rest of the bedspreads in that shop. I’m thinking another one might need to come home with me!