Jalie pattern sewing

I’ve been playing around some more with the Jalie patterns I ordered a few weeks ago. This one is Jalie #2787, this time made with sleeves. The fabric was formerly 3 old t-shirts which I dyed during a recent tie-dye event we had in our front yard with a bunch of the neighbor kids.

purple shirt

The next one is Jalie # 2682. This was the first time I made this pattern. The fabric for this was a dye experiment that I was unsure about. I figured it was good fabric to try out a new pattern as I wouldn’t be out much if the fit needed more adjusting. I ended up loving the result. I did change the sleeves on this, using the bell sleeves from the previous pattern as they just seemed to go with the tie-dye more than straight sleeves would.

Here is the front:

tie-dye front

Here is the back:

tie-dye top back

For both shirts, I used the pattern size that matched my bust measurement for the width and cut the pattern two sizes smaller for the neck and shoulders. I can’t wait to make both of these out of some better fabrics, although both of these will definitely be part of my fall wardrobe once it cools off enough here to wear long sleeves!

Advertisements

Recycled Fabric Skirt

On Saturday after shopping at the local Farmer’s Market, I checked out our Goodwill store. I seldom have much luck finding clothes there, but I’ve recently started thinking about finding clothing that I can re-make into something that’s more my style rather than finding actual clothes. On this trip, I found a really nice outfit for my mom, a nice piece of knit fabric for a fall top and a knit dress with an ugly style that was made out of fabric I liked. It was definitely a successful trip.

I finished the skirt made out of the ugly dress this morning. It’s made from a Jalie pattern that I was trying out for the first time. I’m really happy with the way it turned out. It’s comfortable and was very fast and easy to sew. It does need a different shirt than the one I’m wearing in this picture, though!

skirt

Felted Wool Water Bottle Cover

Whenever I go out, I nearly always take along my water bottle. I don’t like it when my water bottle gets all sweaty, which always happens when I add ice and especially seems to be a problem with my stainless steel water bottles. I used to stick my water bottle in a sock which helped, but wasn’t very attractive. A couple of years ago, it occurred to me that a wool water bottle cover would be perfect. It absorbs/prevents the condensation on the bottle (which keeps everything else in my bag dry) and also keeps my water cool for hours. My most-used water bottle and cover were getting shabby, so I just finished knitting up a replacement:

water bottle cover

 

This particular cover was knit for my 18 oz. Klean Kanteen water bottle, the one I use most. The same pattern works for the 27 oz. bottle with a few more rows added on. This also fits lots of plastic water bottles, with the height adjusted to whatever is needed. I’ve found that if it’s knit for a taller bottle, it’s easy enough to roll over the top like a cuff to fit on shorter bottles.

The pattern is pretty simple:

With worsted weight wool, cast on 40 stitches- I usually use size 10 or 10-1/2 needles. Divide onto 3 double point needles Purl the first round and then knit around until desired length is reached. For this water bottle, this was about 9 inches- about two inches more than the finished height I wanted. I probably could have gone a few more rows as the wool shrunk a bit more than I expected, but I was able to stretch it out to the length I wanted.

When desired length is reached, begin decreases for the bottom as follows:

Round1-(knit 6, knit 2 together) all the way around (35 stitches).

Round 2 and all even rounds- knit

Round 3- (Knit 3, knit 2 together) all the way around

Round 5- (Knit 2, knit 2 together) around

Round7- (Knit1, knit 2 together) around

Round 9- Knit 2 together around.

Break yarn and pull tail through remaining 7 stitches.  Weave in loose ends.

 

To felt the cover, I just throw it into a nylon bag with whatever else I happen to be washing for as many loads as necessary to get to the point of shrinkage that I like. This cover took 4 trips through the washing machine. I then pulled it into shape on my water bottle and let it dry. It can be pulled and shaped quite a bit when it’s wet.

I use up all sorts of odds and ends of yarn with these, creating stripes or different designs. For this cover, I held a strand of lace-weight merino yarn along with the worsted to add a little color.