I enjoyed stitching the stars featured in this earlier post:
After playing with stitching them on paper, I decided that I wanted to try to adapt the idea to fiber. For the images shown here, I used the same pattern as in my earlier post. I poked holes through the pattern and then taped it to a piece of felt. I then used a fine-tipped sharpie marker to make dots on the felt through the holes.
I couldn’t get a good picture showing the dots on red felt, but here is a picture of the dots on a white background:
As I began stitching, I realized the felt needed to be more rigid, so I pinned a piece of non-fusible heavy weight interfacing to the felt. This is very easy to stitch through and gave me the added stability I was looking for (Timtex is one brand name for this sort of interfacing).
I then followed the stitching pattern in exactly the same way as I did for the card-stitched images. I did knot the thread rather than taping it.
After I finished the stitching, I cut the felt into a circle, making a matching circle for the back. I trimmed the interfacing a bit so that it wouldn’t show. I then used my sewing machine and a zig-zag stitch to sew the two circles together. I stitched a length of thread through to make a hanger to finish the ornament: