Just before Christmas, my daughter decided that she wanted to make my nephew a sock monkey as a gift. She decided that she wanted to use tie-dyed socks rather than the usual red-heeled brown ones, so we dyed up a couple of pair unevenly in shades of blue and purple.
I made a sock monkey several years ago and remembered most of the basics, but I found that the instructions from sockmonkey.net were also very helpful.
We only had to make a few changes to use our hand-dyed socks. We liked the colors of the right side of the ribbed cuff part of the socks, but preferred the colors and fuzzy texture of the wrong side of the sock for the rest of the body. After a bit of brainstorming, we decided to try cutting the socks apart and sewing them back together to get the look we wanted. Here a few pictures:
The cut pair of socks:
Sewing the new inside to the new outside- I used a narrow zig-zag stitch for this:
The new “wrong side:”
The new “right side:”
And here’s one more picture of the finished monkey:
My daughter did quite a bit of the sewing and I stepped in to help on some tricky parts. Mr. Monkey was finished just in time, on Christmas Eve. These pictures were taken quickly in very bad light and we didn’t get any pictures after we put some clothes on him, but they give the general idea of what our monkey guy looked like. He was a big hit with my nephew, which made all the last -minute sewing worthwhile!