A Little More Shibori Stitching

Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve stitched up a few more mini-shibori experiments to use as studies for something larger that I have in mind.  I finally had a chance to dye them yesterday and am sharing the results here- perhaps mostly just to remind myself that I did them.  Once again, I didn’t take any pictures of these “in process.”  I still mean to do that, perhaps with the bigger piece that I have in mind for my next project.  I did find a nice little stitched shibori tutorial online that shows some of the possibilities here:

http://www.burdastyle.com/howtos/show/658

This one was stitched using  the stitch pattern from “step 1” of  the tutorial above:

The rest of these were stitched using the stitch from  “step 4” of the same tutorial:

Spiral

Heart

Curve

“Peace” on a scrap of an old t-shirt

Circles

Advertisements

Fabric Ball for a 1st Birthday Gift

This fall, I started watching a neighbor’s baby full time.  When I started, I didn’t realize how much that would change the time and energy that I have for sewing, knitting, crafting and all of that sort of thing.  As the baby has  grown and gotten more mobile, I’ve had less and less time for projects.  There’s been even less time for recording anything that I do  make, so this blog has been sadly neglected. I see that I haven’t posted anything since December, and I’ve decided it’s time to try to post a little more often.  We’ll see how that works out!  

Today, the little man that I care for turned one, and I wanted to make him a gift for his birthday.  I’d saved a link to a blog with instructions for making a fabric ball, found here:

http://www.purlbee.com/fabric-beach-balls/

I dug through some fabric scraps and decided to make the medium size:

 

I made one addition to the very-easy-to-use pattern:  I added three bells.  I made little fabric bags to hold the bells so that the ball’s stuffing can’t get wrapped around them to keep them from jingling over time.  Also, if the ball should come apart, it would make the bells a little bit more swallow-proof. Here’s a picture:

 

This was a very fast and simple project that I’ll be sure to make again.  My little guy loved this and I’m going to have to make some more of these in different sizes  and textures to keep at my house!