I’ve recently been interested in learning more about weaving, and last month my mom helped that interest along by giving me a rigid heddle weaving loom as a birthday gift. I’ve enjoyed making a few little sample things, figuring out how to warp it without looking back at the instructions and generally just getting comfortable and familiar with it. I decided it was time to make an actual project, but limited myself to what I had here. Since I also knit and crochet, there does tend to be plenty of yarn around here already :).
I had previously only tried working in plain weave, and wanted to try something new. I found a youtube video showing how to do a pattern called Brooks Bouquet and decided I wanted to try it. It’s here if you’d like to see it:
The yarn I used was from a cone of some hemp-wool blend that I have had around for awhile. I started out with 6 rows of plain weave and then began the Brooks Bouquet pattern. I repeated the pattern 10 times then wove 3 inches of plain weave for the bottom of the bag, then ten more repeats of Brooks Bouquet, ending with 6 more plain rows. Here’s a picture of it in progress on the loom:
After taking it off the loom, I finished both ends with a couple of rows of zig-zag stitching on my sewing machine.
I then made the long strap that became the sides and handle as a 3-inch wide strip of plain weave. I hemmed it on the sewing machine, as well:
I hand-sewed the edge the strap to the body of the bag. I left the very top part of the bag un-sewn and left the sewing yarn there to finish stitching up after adding the lining:
I then started working on the lining. I was given some really nice wool wool fabric that was sort of a gray color. I over-dyed it deep orange. Here’s a picture of the before and after:
To create the lining, I measured across the bag:
I added two inches for seam allowances and added several inches to the height:
I then pulled up the bottom corners and measured a triangle that was 3 inches across (my strap/bottom width) up the side edge. I sewed across this triangle and trimmed the corners:
I inserted the lining into the bag and hand-tacked the bottom corners. I then folded the lining over the top edge and carefully pinned it to make sure I was catching all of it as I sewed. I machine stitched all around the top 3/4″ down. I then pulled that fabric back over itself to the inside of the bag and pinned it down well. I machine stitched this from the front side of the bag very close to the lining through all of the layers- sort of the stitch-in-the-ditch thing often used in quilting. I didn’t take pictures of that part, so I hope this sort of makes sense :).
When finishing the top, I also sewed in a crocheted loop to serve as a button hole. I finished hand-stitching up the last bit of the sides, sewed on a hand-made button and here is the finished bag:
I think that the finishing part took at least as long- maybe even longer- than the weaving part :).